Grant attended South Texas College of Law in Houston, Texas, receiving his Juris Doctorate. Prior to this, he attended Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, earning a BBA in Accounting.
Trial, Appeals, Motions, Arbitration, and Mediation:
- Jury trial and directed verdict in Fort Bend County for real estate broker finding no duty on broker to disclose prior repairs made and lawsuit; affirmed on appeal.
- Favorable jury verdict for oilfield services company in federal court in Oklahoma City against operator over cement job at an oil well.
- Jury trial, appellate court decision, and Supreme Court decision involving clergy allegations and finding that one cannot conspire to be negligent and no personal liability for corporate officer.
- Jury verdict in state district court in Wichita Falls in favor of down hole pump manufacturer for claims brought by operator complaining of pump operational defects at an oil well.
- Settlement for oilfield services client – a pre-lawsuit, multimillion-dollar damages claim brought by individual who was pinned under tractor trailer moving a wireline spool through Lufkin.
- Settled trade secret lawsuit between two oilfield tool companies in relation to design and use of technology and plans for frac services tool.
- Settled multiple claims against manufacturer for alleged defective commodes causing water damages to homes.
- Jury trial in Harris County for dispute between two oilfield services companies over taxes owed from operations and revenues in Ecuador.
- Defeated attempt by Houston company to gain jurisdiction over a California employee in a Texas court.
- Jury trial and settlement in Victoria County for seller entity in the enforcement of contract provision for final payment due under an asset purchase agreement.
- Jury trial and directed verdict in state district court in Galveston in favor of broker involving a historical home on Broadway and alleged undisclosed repair issues.
- Arbitration result in favor of client, industrial property owner and its contract dispute with an environmental cleanup contractor.
- Arbitration of a dispute between oilfield services company and operator regarding downhole damage from a frac tool and alleged damages to wellbore and reservoir.
- Summary judgment in federal court for executive accused of sexual harassment and wrongful termination of employee.
- Settled at mediation a subrogation claim brought for client insurance company against utility company for a fire at a home allegedly caused by a power line.
- Settlement at mediation of claim brought against insurance broker for placing policy for client that did not cover warehouse fire damages.
- Jury trial for technology company in Harris County prevailing on issues with contractor and its software development contract.
- Jury trial and directed verdict in favor of real estate agent in Travis County for use of dock issues at Lake Travis.
- Jury trial and settlement in Collin County between client manufacturing facility and vendor of power units.
- Jury trial and verdict in Harris County for oilfield services company in dispute with operator on the use of a downhole pump at a disposal well.
- Favorable jury trial in Kendall County defending broker against allegations of misrepresentations about a property.
- Jury verdict in favor of broker in Nueces County state district court in relation to alleged non-disclosure of water penetration to home.
- Summary judgment for broker for alleged foundation issues at property near Memorial Park.
- Jury trial in Harris County for homeowner against insurance company obtaining coverage of third-party claim involving a jet ski injury on Lake Houston.
- Jury trial in Harris County with verdict for broker over alleged non-disclosure of past flooding at property in West Houston.
- Jury trial in Smith County and appeal reversing trial court on the award of mental anguish in a property case.
- Jury trial in Travis County involving claims against broker for non-disclosure of flooding at property on Lake Travis.
- Jury trial in Harris County for homeowner in dispute with homeowner’s association over location of improvement.
- Settled at mediation a claim against broker for alleged non-disclosure of fault line under property in West Houston.
- Summary judgment for receiver being sued for mismanagement of business.
- Settled at mediation claims against broker for misrepresentation of square footage of house in Austin.
- Jury trial in Harris County over commercial lease commission dispute between broker and client.
- Jury trial in Jefferson County defending broker in relation to confusion on lot location.
- Defended landlord in bench trial of landlord-tenant dispute over rent and eviction of tenant.
- Partial settlement of death claim for wireline services company in relation to a gas well in Webb County.
- Settlement at mediation between co-owners in dispute over sale of a printing company and warehouse.
- Jury trial in Harris County and liability finding against medical equipment lessor for alleged defective product.
- Jury verdict in favor of broker in Montgomery County for alleged undisclosed house defects.
- Settlement at mediation involving broker for property in Montgomery County where stucco was not installed correctly.
- Subrogated claim settled at mediation for damages to home allegedly caused by defective dryer.
- Settlement at mediation of homeowner subrogated claims against roof contractor for improper installation of a roof.
- Settlement at mediation for insurance company board member sued by state insurance receiver.
- Bench trial in Harris County over boundary dispute between two property owners.
- Settlement at mediation involving subrogated claim for fire damage due to alleged overheated personal computer.
Business Advice and Documentation:
- Document sale of medical waste business for corporate client to a large national provider.
- Document sale of recycle business for corporate client to large national provider.
- Document purchase of competing trash container business for corporate client.
- Ongoing creation and review of license agreements and related data services contracts for technology company.
- Routinely advise real estate brokers and agents on contracts and operational and risk issues.
- Review purchase agreements related to real property.
- Review lease agreements related to real property.
Grant Harpold has substantial experience representing large corporations, small businesses, and individuals who have been sued, need to file suit, or need advice in relation to a transaction, contract, or service. Grant has tried numerous jury trials and has helped his clients obtain favorable results in claims against real estate brokers, oilfield services claims, employee/employer issues, denials of insurance coverage, business torts, trade secrets, and contract claims. Additionally, he assists clients in creating and reviewing agreements related to the sale of a business, the licensing of data, and in the sale or lease of property. Whether it is litigation or reviewing a contract, Grant can advise you.
Grant is part of a small percentage of lawyers who have been continuously Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by The Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1997.
ACCOLADES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Grant has been Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by The Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1997. He is a Houston Bar Foundation Fellow and a Texas Bar Foundation Life Fellow.
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas